Dysphagia and Problems with Eating, Drinking and Swallowing
Dysphagia isthe medical term for swallowing difficulties. Some people with Dysphagia have problems swallowing certain foods or liquids, while others cannot swallow at all.
Symptoms that can indicate Dysphagia include:
- weight loss / loss of appetite
- inability to clear food from the mouth or throat
- coughing when eating or drinking
- choking or coughing on food, liquids or saliva
- problems swallowing medication
- pain when swallowing
- discomfort in the chest or throat
- heartburn or reflux
- repeated chest infections
- loss of appetite
Our ServicesWorking with clients with dysphagia requires specialist training. A dysphagia trained speech and language therapist will be able to carry out a comprehensive assesment of a client's needs and then work with that client and their supporters to devise a management plan to enable safe and effective eating, drinking and swallowing.
A dysphagia service provided by our therapists may include:
- Adjusting your posture when eating and drinking
- Using special equipment to help you eat and drink more safely and comfortably.
- Exercises to target the development of your lips, tongue and throat muscles to facilitate the most effective swallow.
- Changing your diet to make foods and liquids easier and safer to swallow.
- Adapting your pattern of eating and drinking e.g. speed of eating and mouthful size.
- Talking with your GP or consultant about the timing of your medication.
- Improving breathing
- Helping you to manage saliva and reduce drooling
Quality AssuranceEg(Training)Ltd only employ excellent therapists who are DBS checked on a regular basis. All our therapists are members of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). In addition, where applicable, our therapists are members of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP).
All of our therapists are insured through our own employers liability cover and have full professional indemnity cover.
We have several therapists within our team who are trained to specialist level in dysphagia management.
When and WhereEg(Training) provide SLT services across the East Midlands, West Midlands and Manchester areas. We can also provide some services at venues across the UK. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
We can provide therapy services on a range of time-scales from frequent intensive therapy to adhoc training and consultancy services. We can provide flexible services to meet your SLT needs and your budget. Please contact us to discuss your service needs further. We are always happy to discuss and advise.