Assistant Dysphagia Practitioner Training
Dysphagia is:The medical term for swallowing difficulties. Some people with Dysphagia have problems swallowing certain foods or liquids, while others cannot swallow at all.
Symptoms that can indicate Dysphagia include:
- weight loss / loss of appetite
- inability to clear food from the mouth or throat
- coughing when eating or drinking
- choking or coughing on food, liquids or saliva
- problems swallowing medication
- pain when swallowing
- discomfort in the chest or throat
- heartburn or reflux
- repeated chest infections
- loss of appetite
This workshop can be provided for groups of up to 14 people at your venue or view the courses we are running at our venues.
Quality AssuranceEg(Training)Ltd only employ excellent therapists who are DBS checked on a regular basis. All our therapists are members of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) and the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). In addition, where applicable, our therapists are members of the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP).
All of our therapists are insured through our own employers liability cover and have full professional indemnity cover.
- Staff who are involved in the preparation of food and drink.
- Staff who are involved in assisting individuals who have swallowing difficulties to eat and drink.
- Staff who are involved in writing care plans for those with Dysphagia.
- Managers who are responsible for staff with the above duties.
Learning OutcomesDelegates will
- Have an understanding of how normal swallowing works
- Be able to describe the signs and symptoms of dysphagia
- Know how to identify which groups of people are more at risk from suffering dysphagia
- Understand the new IDDSI Descriptors for food and drink used in dysphagia management
- Be able to prepare food and drinks accurately, according to dysphagia management plans
- Be able to offer appropriate food and drinks to patients with confidence
- Know who to go for help when managing a person with dysphagia
When and WhereEg(Training)Ltd provide training services across the UK. Please contact us to discuss your requirements, and service needs. We are always happy to discuss and advise.